‘Home’ is always a powerful concept – the ‘domestic’ in domestic abuse/domestic violence highlights the complexity of what home means.
When Government advice is to ‘stay at home’ – what about women and children for whom home is a very dangerous place because of the abuser who lives with them, or knows where they live?
Services for women and children experiencing domestic abuse, sexual violence and all forms of violence and abuse have issued a statement that they will do everything they can to continue to offer support and a safe place to go if you need to leave home.
And that, they, in turn, need the practical, awareness and financial support to be able to do so.
Keep safe – and know that there is help and support:
- The Freephone, 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247 or www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/Contact-us · Rape Crisis services – www.rapecrisis.org.uk/get-help/want-to-talk/
- National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0800 999 5428
- Men’s Advice Line – a confidential helpline, email and webchat service for male victims of domestic abuse: 0808 801 0327 or www.mensadviceline.org.uk.
- The Mix, free information and support for under 25s in the UK – 0808 808 4994 · Rights of Women advice lines: www.rightsofwomen.org.uk/get-advice/advice-lines/
- Women’s Aid – including Live Chat, email, the Survivors Forum and local services: www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/
- Respect Phoneline – a confidential helpline, email and webchat service for domestic abuse perpetrators and those supporting them: 0808 8024040 or www.respectphoneline.org.uk
The 24 hr Domestic and Sexual Abuse helpline is open to women and men affected by domestic abuse or violence. This free telephone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
- Phone: 0808 802 1414 (Freephone) · Email: help(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)dsahelpline.org">help(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)dsahelpline.org
- Local services: www.womensaidni.org/get-help/local-groups/
- Scotland’s 24hr Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline: 0800 027 1234 or www.sdafmh.org.uk/
- Rape Crisis Scotland: National Helpline on 08088 01 03 02 (6pm to midnight, 7 days a week) or www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/
- Further support and local services: www.mygov.scot/domestic-abuse/support-for-female-victims/
The Live Fear Free helpline provides advice, support and referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to anyone affected by violence against women, domestic abuse or sexual violence in Wales. You can contact the Live Fear Free Helpline on:
- Telephone: 0808 80 10 800 · Live Chat Service: gov.wales/live-fear-free
- Text: 078600 77 333
- Email: info(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)livefearfreehelpline.wales
- Local services: www.welshwomensaid.org.uk/information-and-support/find-your-local-service/
Women Against Violence Europe has a search tool for services.
Saahas comprises a directory of support across 196 countries.